Lithops francisci N.E. Brown (1925)



       

Origin:


Collected by Professor Kurt Dinter in July 1922, and named for his friend Frantz de Laet of Contich (near Antwerp), Belgium.

Distribution:


Namibia, in the Kovisberg and Halenberg hills to the E of Lüderitz and N of the Aus-Lüderitz road. TL Halenberg (C140). A new locality has been recorded by Dr & Mrs G. Williamson in the Konipberg Mountains, over 40 km to the northeast of the Halenberg area.
Stone: Gneiss; gneiss and schist. Colours: grey-white, light brown, some black.

Description:


Distinguished by its clearly visible and very numerous dusky dots.
Profile cordate-truncate, usually distinctly convex, sometimes ± flat; fissure deep, 6-12 mm; lobes conjunct, sometimes slightly divergent.
Face slightly elevated, elliptic-reniform; lobes usually unequal; mainly opaque; smooth to very slightly rugose.
Margins usually not clearly distinguishable, very irregular, with ragged peninsulas.
Windows always ± occluded, occasionally absent, the face then almost completely opaque.
Channels slightly impressed, usually narrow and indistinct, very irregular, usually connected into an irregular network.
Islands indistinct, very irregular and ragged in shape.
Rubrications absent.
Dusky dots very numerous, ± round, small, up to 0,5 mm in Ø, very slightly impressed, scattered irregularly over the whole face, but often concentrated in and along the edges of the channels; it is sometimes difficult to distinguish between concentrations of dusky dots and channels.
Colours: Face (margins and islands) opaque beige, grey-white, buff or cream, tinged with yellow, green or pink. Channels obscurely transluscent dull greenish grey. Dusky dots dull grey-green. Shoulders as for the face or slightly paler.
Size: Small to medium, facial diameters up to 30 X 20 mm, mostly about 24-17 mm. Number of heads up to 20 or more, mostly 3-6.

Flowers:


Yellow, small, up to 25 mm Ø, mostly 15-20 mm Ø
Seed capsules mostly 5-merous (98%), the remainder 6-merous (2%). Profile boat-shaped, top ± flat. Face broadly elliptic to elliptic, up to 8 X 6,5 mm, mostly about 7 X 6 mm.
Seeds yellow-brown; rugose 1.

* Information from CACTUS & Co, Vol. X, 1, pp 57-59 (2006)


Home | Morphology | History | Distribution | Cultivation | Species | Literature & Links | Contact Me